Dealing with Depression/friend with depressed family member

Question
Hello. My best friend has just had to have her teenager hospitalized for mental illness. I'm finding it a bit scary and hard to figure out what to do. I want to be a good friend to her, let her know that I'm here in whatever capacity she needs. Experience suggests that folks are going to either blame her or blame her son, rather than acknowledging that this whole family is suffering and in pain. It's a hideous time to have a mental illness in this country. I want her to know I DO NOT judge anyone, I just really want to be a good friend for her during this awful and difficult time.

Answer
The best thing you can do is to act if nothing has happened...don't treta them differently at all, just be a friend, and only talk about the matter if she brings it up.
Right now what they need is normality, they don't need to be drowned in sympathy.

Dealing with Depression

Johnny St. Tai