Dealing with Depression/Depression and the Brain

I was wondering if depression could be caused by an over production if serotonin, and what were the symptoms of it?

Hi Kelly,

Serotonin is thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness but it is not the root of depression. Extremely high levels of serotonin can cause a condition known as serotonin syndrome, with toxic and potentially fatal effects.

Serotonin syndrome symptoms often begin within hours of taking a new medication or increasing the dose of one you are already taking. Symptoms may include:

Agitation or restlessness
   Dilated pupils
   Changes in blood pressure and/or temperature
   Nausea and/or vomiting
   Rapid heart rate
   Loss of muscle coordination or twitching muscles
   Shivering and goose bumps
   Heavy sweating  

The "cure" is often worse than the condition that pharmaceutical company’s claim to fix.

In severe cases, serotonin syndrome can be life-threatening.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms of depression may include the following:

Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
   Fatigue and decreased energy
   Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
   Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
   Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
   Irritability, restlessness
   Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
   Overeating or appetite loss
   Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
   Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
   Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

These are some of the symptoms but there are also many types of depression: Major depression, Dysthymia, Bipolar, SAD, Psychotic depression. A doctor, or psychologist will usually diagnose depression.

Here on my blog you can find more information on depression and how I treat the disorder.  

Dealing with Depression

Amper Sun

Depression, anxiety, self esteem, guilt, loss, grief, spiritual uncertainty!

Thirty years treating individual, families, at-risk-youth in counselling and psycho-therapy.

Master Practitioner of Counselling and Psychotherapy - M.P.C.P. designation.