Dealing with Depression/Just feeling down or depression?

Hello! I need some advice ! I'm an 18 year old girl. I've been feeling really down in the dumps for the last 4 or 5 months. I have no energy and just want to sleep all the time. I feel really down in myself and lonely. I'm still in school and have fell really behind which is putting a lot of pressure on me as I have big exams in June. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I just can't bring myself to even care about school at the moment. My mam is putting a lot of pressure on me to get good results but I'm failing most subjects at the moment. There is a lot of tension at home ! Between mam and dad and between me and my mam. She constantly runs me down and picks on me most chances she gets. She makes digs at my weight and my style. I'm a uk size 14 so I'm pretty average and my style is complete tomboy. I recently came out as a lesbian to her and she completely hated that fact. All my friends are cool with it , my mam is the only bad reaction so far. I think about killing myself everyday but just can't bring myself to do it. I just don't want to live anymore. Every time I try I end up thinking what it will do to my two younger brothers and I can't do it to them. I self harm on my stomach and thighs . The cuts arnt deep , just enough to bleed. I'm sorry for the rant but my main question is if I go to a doctor will I be diagnosed with depression or just told I'm an attention seeker. I don't mean to be. If I am diagnosed with depression what then? Will I be put on medication or have to go to therapy? I didn't even think it could be depression until one of my close friends suggested it. I really don't want to tell my parents about this because there's already enough tension between us all. I'm lost and don't know what to do! Thank you for any advice!

Definitely depression, and don't worry, most likely case will be some form of counselling to help you pass this hard time in your life.
Suicide is not the answer of course, and hurting your self isn't either.
You must seek professional help asap and help your self back onto the right track.

Dealing with Depression

Johnny St. Tai

It is okay to feel down and out once every so often, as long as you know to reach out for the hands that will pull you back up. I can answer questions about self esteem improvement, relationship with others, depression, and sexuality. I will/cannot give medical advice without an actual examination of the person and his/her medical history, so for those issues, best to find a local specialist/doctor to be safe.

Ten years of professional and volunteer counseling, and volunteering for the Crisis Center. Born of a conflict-laiden family, I've walked through violance, addiction, abuse, and more. I survived, scarred but still strong, and I will do my best to help others do the same.

Richmond Chimo Crisis Center

Interpersonal/Social Relation Specialist, University of British Colombia Socialwork, 2005.

over 500.