Dealing with Depression/Help for lt disability

Question
I've been diagnosed with mdd, gad with OC tendencies and paranoia, and anxiety attacks that flair up in almost any social situation leading me to self-harm and suicidal thoughts.  I was put out on medical leave twice in order to seek treatment and finally decided to go out on disability. My employer offers long term--two year max-- disability for mental health. The people who put me out on disability and diagnosed me were a outpatient hospital and they do not fill out disability forms. The pschiatrist that they referred me to does not fill out long term disability forms as a policy. I do not know what to do. I am on meds but my anxiety and depression are still really high and I cannot handle work at all but so far I've been told no medical professional that I am seeing can help me. Do you know how I can find someone that can verify that I am sick AND fill out disability forms? Do I have any options?

Answer
Hi Nattie,

I would start calling doctors' offices and just ask if they fill out disability forms. If they say no, ask if they know which doctor offices do.  Hopefully, just by calling around you will find doctors that do fill out forms.    

It seems like they SHOULD fill out the forms.  Ask if they charge extra to do it.  Another place you can call is the Bureau of Workman's comp  ask for a list of doctor's who fill out disability forms.  

If I were in your place, I would call around to the various types of doctors you need and ask if they will fill out disability forms if they examine you and can concur with your test results.  

To be approved for long tern disability, I know you have to have examinations, doctor's reports,
disability forms completed and whatever else is needed to be out on long-term disability.

Gather all the facts of what you need, call around to find doctors that do fill out forms.
Since it is a mental health issue, find a psychiatrist that fills out forms after he has examined you.   

Hope these ideas help,

Dr. Pat  

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.