Dealing with Depression/Help for lt disability


I've been diagnosed with mdd, gad with OC tendencies and paranoia, and anxiety attacks that flair up in almost any social situation leading me to self-harm and suicidal thoughts.  I was put out on medical leave twice in order to seek treatment and finally decided to go out on disability. My employer offers long term--two year max-- disability for mental health. The people who put me out on disability and diagnosed me were a outpatient hospital and they do not fill out disability forms. The pschiatrist that they referred me to does not fill out long term disability forms as a policy. I do not know what to do. I am on meds but my anxiety and depression are still really high and I cannot handle work at all but so far I've been told no medical professional that I am seeing can help me. Do you know how I can find someone that can verify that I am sick AND fill out disability forms? Do I have any options?

Hi Nattie,

I would start calling doctors' offices and just ask if they fill out disability forms. If they say no, ask if they know which doctor offices do.  Hopefully, just by calling around you will find doctors that do fill out forms.    

It seems like they SHOULD fill out the forms.  Ask if they charge extra to do it.  Another place you can call is the Bureau of Workman's comp  ask for a list of doctor's who fill out disability forms.  

If I were in your place, I would call around to the various types of doctors you need and ask if they will fill out disability forms if they examine you and can concur with your test results.  

To be approved for long tern disability, I know you have to have examinations, doctor's reports,
disability forms completed and whatever else is needed to be out on long-term disability.

Gather all the facts of what you need, call around to find doctors that do fill out forms.
Since it is a mental health issue, find a psychiatrist that fills out forms after he has examined you.   

Hope these ideas help,

Dr. Pat  

Dealing with Depression

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.


I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.


Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.


Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Awards and Honors
Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]