Dealing with Depression/Medication wihdrawal

Good afternoon
I have a question regarding withdrawal of medication.  I have taken 150mg Dothep (Prothiaden) for almost 10 years.  After having suffered severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks etc - I also had ECT treatment in 2001.
I have been really well over the last 8 years or so and have done a lot of self therapy, cleaned up my diet, started exercising etc.  I wanted to get off my meds and be 'normal' though my GP doesnt think that is wise.  
I have reduced meds in the past, very very slowly and yet about 4 weeks into the reduction, start to feel very down again.  I am not sure of it is a normal thing as the brain/body adjusts to life without the medication; or if I seriously am sinking back into depression.  'I would be really grateful of your opinion on this - I am 49 years old.  Thanks very much

Hello Helen,

THe reason why depression usually returns after withdrawing from medication is that antidepressant treat symptoms but not the underlying biochemical abnormality that is responsible for depression.  We have found that most people with mood disorder usually suffer from hypoglycemia ( This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet as explained at:

Hypoglycemic Diet

You can withdraw gradually from antidepressant medication whilst on the hypoglycemic diet, but you must make sure that this diet - which should also take into account any possible allergies or digestive disorders - has a beneficial effect AND under doctor's supervision.

Please read:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder
Depression is a Disease of Energy Production

Discuss with your doctor.

If you live in the Sydney area I suggest you contact Dr George Samra Kogarah NSW.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Dealing with Depression

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)

See My Career as a Nutritional Psychotherapist at: