Dealing with Depression/Medication

QUESTION: Hi, Sir i have gone through questions asked from you and your usual answer that i found is that in depression or in anxiety, medicines like anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs do not heal the problem but they just hide the underlying symptoms. It means according to you  medicines should not be used for depression and anxiety disorders?

ANSWER: Hi Chahat,

I garner from your phraseology -usual answer, according to you- that this is either a challenge to me and my expertise; to my answers dissuading people from engaging in drug use to treat anxiety and depression-among other things; or that this is an attempt at sarcasm directed to advance an oppositional dialogue somewhere down the road regarding your defence of the field of medicinal cures for everything from anxiety/depression to xyz disorder; or that you are about to speak from experience concerning the disorders with a strong propensity to support medicinal cures? If your question arises from the experience, and you have witnessed relief through the use of medications: has the underlying causes been treated and cured specifically from the medications alone? I could read the whole of your text from a perspective of seriousness were it not for the tone of the piece. So I will assume you disagree with my usual answer that according to me anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs do not heal the problem but they just hide the underlying symptoms. To benefit readers-since this question is marked as public, I am assuming you have certain reasons for publicising the exchange, therefore I will ensure that a solid effort is put forth to relay at least the anti-medicinal cure side of this question-and to benefit you as well so that your quest for challenge and answers is met just as solidly.

If the stance I have taken regarding my opposition to drug use to treat anxiety and depression were just the ramblings of a single soul the anti-claims I make could quite easily be whitewashed. Certainly if that were the fact of the matter, then I am sure they would pin the medal of valour upon your chest for outing a charlatan. However, when the matter of fact is scrutinized and the stance I take is supported by a whole community of others of greater status than myself, then it becomes harder to paint me with a charlatans brush; since you would have to take on the whole of the supporting community; levying your tone at them with the same veracity that you do at me and my volunteer status here on AllExperts.

There is a vast network of dissidents that form the opinion it is the pharmaceutical industry that fosters an economic agenda which is behind the enormous push to treat disorders with drugs that they supply. (This sounds very illuminati-ish, to foster such dark plans: create a problem of such proportions -like the DSMIV statistical manual of psychological disorders; with its enormous list of symptoms- that makes it impossible for the average person to understand or remedy; when the population is ready accept help, then offer up a ready -made solution; the pharmaceutical companies come along with the answer to treat the host of symptoms they helped to create for the masses with their diagnostical manual of complicated disorders for everything from soup to nuts- and viola you have the problem and the solution in one convenient offering - medications! This is how the Illuminati purport to operate and the parallelism between their methods and that of the pharmaceutical companies do not differ much in the comparisons.); Here there is an indication that medicinal depression and anxiety treatments are driven by economics rather than necessity or relevance, and that I am not alone in my stance about alternatives to treating these disorders . . . These complaints are not coming just from sociologists, English professors, and other troublemakers; they are being made by people within the field of psychiatry itself... Between 1988, the year after Prozac was approved by the F.D.A., and 2000, adult use of antidepressants almost tripled. By 2005, one out of every ten Americans had a prescription for an antidepressant. IMS Health, a company that gathers data on health care, reports that in the United States in 2008 a hundred and sixty-four million prescriptions were written for antidepressants, and sales totalled $9.6 billion... The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that more than fourteen million Americans suffer from major depression every year, and more than three million suffer from minor depression (whose symptoms are milder but last longer than two years). Greenberg thinks that numbers like these are ridiculousónot because people arenít depressed but because, in most cases, their depression is not a mental illness. Itís a sane response to a crazy world... Greenberg basically regards the pathologizing of melancholy and despair, and the invention of pills designed to relieve people of those feelings, as a vast capitalist conspiracy to paste a big smiley face over a world that we have good reason to feel sick about. The aim of the conspiracy is to convince us that itís all in our heads, or, specifically, in our brainsóthat our unhappiness is a chemical problem, not an existential one. And here . . . Here's some depressing recent medical news: Antidepressants don't work. What's even more depressing is that the pharmaceutical industry and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have deliberately deceived us into believing that they DO work. As a physician, this is frightening to me. Depression is among the most common problems seen in primary-care medicine and soon will be the second leading cause of disability in this country. . . The study I'm talking about was published in The New England Journal of Medicine. It found that drug companies selectively publish studies on antidepressants. They have published nearly all the studies that show benefit -- but almost none of the studies that show these drugs are ineffective. . . The problem is even worse than it sounds, because the positive studies hardly showed benefit in the first place. For example, 40 percent of people taking a placebo (sugar pill) got better, while only 60 percent taking the actual drug had improvement in their symptoms. Looking at it another way, 80 percent of people get better with just a placebo. . . That leaves us with a big problem -- millions of depressed people with no effective treatments being offered by most conventional practitioners. However, there are treatments available. . . There is a whole community with supporting evidence that point the finger of guilt directly at the villains within the scope of this debate and I am not one of those they are pointing at.

I am not saying that disorders do not exist! They most certainly do exist, as the effects which are prevalent throughout society and which are very much visible to us as exhibited within the dysfunctional qualities of the patients who suffer from them. I am saying that anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs do not heal the problem, they just hide the underlying symptoms. The pharmaceutical companies benefit from medications more than the patients that are prescribed them. In the end, it is the patients who continue to suffer, with the added burden of high cost medications and their side effects to deal with as well.

As  a final thought, to addendum the debate, and further respond to your question, there may be a political underpinning to the whole affair of pharmaceuticals, the companies who make them, the psychiatric industry as a whole, complete with their diagnostic statistical manuals, and with our very freedom hanging in the balance. Here is an excerpt taken from an article:  Communist Goals (1963) Congressional Record--Appendix, pp. A34-A35 January 10, 1963 -"The Naked Communist," by Cleon Skousen; Current Communist Goals- with special notice given to number 38; Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioural problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat]. and number 39; Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals. Accordingly, these two goals alone point at an insidious political plan to incorporate psychiatric disorders that only specialists can treat; to dominate that profession and gain coercive control over any who oppose the achievement of these 45 goals to subvert your freedom. Take this in with the medication that best suits your needs while trying to digest the facts of the matter.

QUESTION: Sir i am very very thankful to you for your best cooperation. My last question Anti-depressants and Anti-anxiety drugs should be used or not and if not then how to get rid of these two?

Hi Chahat,

I am not sure what medications you are on, regardless, you should consult with your doctor before discontinuing with any medications; especially anti-psychotic medications. Most medications require a tapering regime and have to be quit over a period of time as quitting them cold-turkey could cause seizures, or worse. So consult with your doctor to work out a plan on how you will achieve that end result to be medication-free.

Parallel to that discontinuance of medications, you should seek out a qualified psychotherapist to help deal with the underlying root causes of the specific disorder. The approach to this aspect of the treatment is not as easy as it sounds since there are as many approaches to therapy models as there are problems. Which one is the right one for you may become an arduous search. My suggestion is to seek out the ones that are reality focused models; they deal with here and now formulations and though they differ from my therapy model it will help to get you on track with focusing you in the center of reality. I am the only one treating depression and anxiety with the premise that thought and the power you give it is the root cause of the disorders. Here on my blog you can find more information on depression and how I treat it. You will find diagrams and techniques there that explain and direct you how to approach the root cause of these disorders. If you need more help you can always contact me here on AllExperts.

Dealing with Depression

Amper Sun

Depression, anxiety, self esteem, guilt, loss, grief, spiritual uncertainty!

Thirty years treating individual, families, at-risk-youth in counselling and psycho-therapy.

Master Practitioner of Counselling and Psychotherapy - M.P.C.P. designation.