Dealing with Depression/My daughter is afraid of eating

My daughter is aged 14 years. Until last year she was healthy and her body weight was 42 Kgs. But, unfortunately, since last year she has not been eating  well, she eats only very less food, due to which her menstrual period is not normal now, she also complains of muscle problems on her legs sometimes. She likes to eat all foods but she fears that she will become overweight if she eats enough food, and so she does not eat what she desires to eat.She told me that some of her friends told her that she is overweight(but I did not feel so, I felt she was healthy and normal).Now her weight is only 34 kgs, and height 150 cms and appearing very weak and very slim. We took her to two psychologists but she still continues to avoid eating, she eats only very little enough to remain alive. She is one of the best students of her class. I would like you to advise me whether she will become normal or become a psychological case and will have to discontinue her studies.

Hi K.chatthan,

You daughter seem to have the usual signs of an eating disorder, that starts off among your girls, when they feel they are are gaining weight and try to lose weight by not eating or binge eating.

Gaining weight is often a sign of depression, because gaining weighty AND being depressed have a common underlying illness that can cause one to gain weight AND be depressed. By not eating they will aggravate the depression and hence even gain more weight. I have explained this in my article at:

Eating Disorders: Anorexia and Bulimia

Also read:
Obesity Controversy

All these are signs of possible hypoglycemia (,) which causes the over-production of stress hormones. These form the symptoms of mood disorders and depression over which you would not have conscious control.
This can be treated without resort to drugs by going on a Hypoglycemic Diet (

Also please read:
Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

If problem arise please consult a nutritional doctor or therapist.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

Dealing with Depression

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)

See My Career as a Nutritional Psychotherapist at: