You are here:

Dealing with Depression/just dont know what to do to live or to die


QUESTION: dear mam my name is ashwani i am 24years  my life is going through crisis.i dont feel like living anymore i just dont know what to do i suffer from severe mood swings one moment i feel ok and the next moment i feel terrible.i am suffering from hair loss also i want to stay at home all the time so that nobody can see i am suffering from hair i want to tell you about my personal life i love a girl she is my neighbour we both love each other very much i want to marry her but the problem is she is muslim and i am a hindu our parents are against our proposal.i just dont want to loose her she is constantly in my mind infact every time i just cant take her out of my mind.every thing i do i dont feel like doing         it i quit every job in the 1st or 2nd month i feel like a loser i am a quiter.i feel like dying mam please help take me out of this mess.i am counting on you badly

ANSWER: Hi Ashwani,

I need to know when you started to feel your mood swings? Did you have these
same feelings before you were dating?   Or do you think it is stress from the
parents not wanting you two to get married?

Let me know,

Dr. Pat

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: After i started dating her i started feeling mood swings a lot earlier also i suffered from mood swings.even  today i dont feel like working i am not satisfied with my career.i dont know what is happening to me.i try to be happy but the next moment i feel terrible i feel like dying.i feel like i should just run away from all of this mess where nobody can see me

Hi Ashwani,

I feel you need to see a psychiatrist.  They know more about the brain and mood
disorders than a regular MD.  That is because psychiatrist study a few more years
about the brain and medications.  

So, go get assessed for depression by a psychiatrist.  Call any hospital that has
a behavioral health clinic where you can be assessed and then referred to a

Also, if there is any depression or mood disorders in your family's history
with parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.   You may have
inherited some problems if your relatives have had them.  A psychiatrist can
tell you that.

Educate yourself on depression. Look up Dr. Ivan Goldberg on the net and also
see his "depression central" website.  It is very educational.

I hope these ideas give you a start to what to do.

Dr. Pat

Dealing with Depression

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.


I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.


Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.


Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Awards and Honors
Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]