Dealing with Depression/spring

I feel a bit tired (not too energetic) now in this time of spring here in nothern Europe. I guess I also feel a bit povoked by the sun and the nature. I mean, when you're not too happy yourself seing nature and people blossoming can be really provoking. Sometimes that question from the song Spring Is Here is what's on my mind: "Spring is here, why doesn't my heart go dancing?".
What should I do?

ANSWER: Hi Andrew,

You do sound a bit down, and depression does take your energy away.

I am wondering if you could check with your doctor and getting you
on medication that might help.  Or change the medication you might already
be on now.

Also, ask your doctor about naturally remedies such as:  St. John's Wort,
5htp, SAM-E,  - but, do not take any of these without your doctor's
approval.  These remedies can cause problems if you are on medications.

See if you can force yourself to go out to a movie - a comedy or rent
some funny DVD's;  get into a sport if you can.  You are young, and you
don't want life to pass you by.   So, check with your doctor immediately.

Hope these ideas here.

Dr.  Pat

QUESTION: According to internet St. John's Wort can be dangerous. Is it true?

Yes,  That is why you need to talk to your doctor.  If you are on
any medications, St. John's Wort could really make things worse.
If you are not on any medications, still talk to your doctor about

Also, continue reading up on it to educate yourself.

Dr. Pat

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.