Dealing with Depression/Obessive Compulsive Anxiety Disorder

Dear Doctor,

I have been taking Celexa 40 Mg and Clonazepam 1 MG twice a day for the past four years. My husband was dying of cancer and it helped keep my sanity. He passed away two weeks ago and I have no control over my anxiety, I am falling apart. I called my doctor and she said to increase to 1 MG 3 Times a day, of course, no help, as of the lst week I have taken 2 1Mg every four hours and I am able to cope with no side effects, My doctor thinks this is too much, I told her it is better than ending up in an psychiatric institution. What are you thoughts, should I find a new doctor who will help me.

Hello Linda,
Sorry for the late reply.
Taking 2 mg of clonazepam every  4 hours is a very high dose and is not advisable . It can cause side effect like lack of concentration , dizziness, cognitive impairment and most importantly dependence on clonazepam.
You are going through a difficult phase and this has resulted in increased anxiety. Visit your psychiatrist and talk to her/him about your problems. Your doctor will adjust the medications  without increasing clonazepam  so much.  Also , you will feel better  if you talk about your feelings and give your grief an outlet. Talk to your friends or relatives or anyone who is close to you and you are comfortable with.
Take care.

Dealing with Depression

I can answer questions related to Psychiatry and Psychology like depression, schizophrenia, substance abuse, anxiety, relationship problems,stress related disorder, child and adolescent problems.

i have done M.D.(Psychiatry) & D.P.M. from GMC & Sir J.J.Group of hospitals,Mumbai. During my residency, i have worked in a de-addiction center for one year. After completing post-graduation, I started working in State run regional mental hospital as a psychiatrist and am attached to the hospital since last one and half years.

I have completed M.B.B.S from IGGMC Nagpur.i have completed M.D.(Psychiatry) & D.P.M. from GMC & Sir J.J.Group of hospitals,Mumbai in 2011. I have done the basic training in Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.