Dealing with Depression/Being tired all the time.

Hi,  I am a 20 year old male college student.  Due to several family related issues, both genetic and environmental, I was diagnosed with depression, PTSD, anxiety, and mild ADHD along with concentration and working memory issues.  The ADHD and working memory issues were recently diagnosed about 2 years ago.  The depression, anxiety, and PTSD were diagnosed about 5-6 years ago.  Currently, I am taking 450mg of Bupropion every morning, and 40mg Fluoxetine for everything that has been diagnosed.  More recently, while taking classes over the summer, and even during my past semesters, I have had several issues with becoming very tired during class lectures, and sometimes accidentally dozing off.  I sleep fine at night, and on occasion I will stay up a bit later than usual.  Most of the time, I get up at a reasonable time in the morning, and eat a good breakfast with taking the occasional vitamins.  I do not find the class topics boring, in fact, quite the opposite.  But, I struggle just about every day with trying to stay awake during lectures, even with multiple classes.  I would typically be completely fine and awake before class starts.  Sometimes over the course of the day, I would just feel really tired and demotivated from doing anything.  When I get to that point, I sometimes either take short naps, or take longer naps in excess of 2 hours depending on if I have anything else to do that day.  Ive been eating fine, taking my medications like I should, with rarely missing a dose, and going to sleep/waking up at reasonable times.  If you could help me with any constructive input that you could provide, it would be appreciated.  But, my main question is, would all this tiredness and fatigue have anything to do with my medications?

Hi Matthew,

There are a couple of things that could be going on with the daytime sleepiness.  
You will need to see your doctor who gives you the medications and see if:

1. Any of the meds may have a side effect of sleepiness.

2.  The doctor may want you to go to a sleep lab for a night to be tested.

3.   You may need to be assessed to see if your depression is causing your sleepiness.

4.  The doctor may want to do some other testing.

You do need to get to the doctors to have this checked out.

Take care,

Dr. Pat  

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.