Dealing with Depression/History of depression

Question
Hello Dr Mishra,
My name is Daniel Kerr and I am currently doing a course in general education for adults. I have chosen to do an assignment on Depression and Anxiety. I have been able to gather most of the information I need on these subjects. The one thing I can't seem to find is anything on the history of depression. I am mainly interested in finding out when depression or depressive illness was first officially recognized as a condition. If you are able to enlighten me at all on this subject it would be much appreciated. Also, could you please include your professional title so I may add it to the sources I used to gather my Information. Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Daniel Kerr

Answer
Hello Daniel ,
Sorry for the late reply.
Depression has been described as an disorder as early as 460 B.C by Hippocrates as MELANCHOLIA.
It was included in DSM-III(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual)in 1980.I am sending a link that will help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_depression
Thanks
dr ankita mishra
M.D PSYCHIATRY

Dealing with Depression

DR. ANKITA MISHRA