Dealing with Depression/History of depression

Hello Dr Mishra,
My name is Daniel Kerr and I am currently doing a course in general education for adults. I have chosen to do an assignment on Depression and Anxiety. I have been able to gather most of the information I need on these subjects. The one thing I can't seem to find is anything on the history of depression. I am mainly interested in finding out when depression or depressive illness was first officially recognized as a condition. If you are able to enlighten me at all on this subject it would be much appreciated. Also, could you please include your professional title so I may add it to the sources I used to gather my Information. Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Daniel Kerr

Hello Daniel ,
Sorry for the late reply.
Depression has been described as an disorder as early as 460 B.C by Hippocrates as MELANCHOLIA.
It was included in DSM-III(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual)in 1980.I am sending a link that will help you.
dr ankita mishra

Dealing with Depression

I can answer questions related to Psychiatry and Psychology like depression, schizophrenia, substance abuse, anxiety, relationship problems,stress related disorder, child and adolescent problems.

i have done M.D.(Psychiatry) & D.P.M. from GMC & Sir J.J.Group of hospitals,Mumbai. During my residency, i have worked in a de-addiction center for one year. After completing post-graduation, I started working in State run regional mental hospital as a psychiatrist and am attached to the hospital since last one and half years.

I have completed M.B.B.S from IGGMC Nagpur.i have completed M.D.(Psychiatry) & D.P.M. from GMC & Sir J.J.Group of hospitals,Mumbai in 2011. I have done the basic training in Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.