Dealing with Depression/Depression

My question is some people suffers from clinical depression experience feelings of tiredness and feel the need to sleep much more than usual. Is it better to fight off the feeling of tiredness and sleepiness or to go along with it? For example, to sleep much more than usual?

Dear Aizatti,

It is very common for people with depression to feel tired.  It is hard to fight off
feeling tired because you are tired.  Let your doctor know.  Antidepressants can help
take away the feeling of tiredness. Ask your doctor about antidepressants.

Sleeping may help somewhat.  But, when you awake you still have the depression and will
still feel sleepy.  Check with your doctor.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Dr. Pat Schafer.  

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.