Dealing with Depression/depression

Mostly I suffer from tightness in the chest with heartburn with a severe allergy to smaller problems with the whispers of how what if
What is the solution if allowed if this fluctuation in mood or symptoms depression.
is there any mental thinking and or physical therapy to ressist it

Hi Mahmoud,

The tightness in the chest may be anxiety.  Anxiety and depression go together a lot of times.
The heartburn feeling may be a from the anxiety.  However, it would be better to see a doctor for the heartburn.  You may have acid reflux or heart problems.  Sometimes people say they are having an anxiety attack and they are suffering pain in the chest.

Sometimes when something happens - that is a negative experience (job loss, some one just broke off their friendship with you, did not get a raise at work, pressured to get your work competed sooner, someone stole your wallet, etc.) can make one feel depressed and also anxious and angry.

So, when your mood changes to a negative one or you are showing signs of depression, write down what has just happened to you that day, or even the day before. What you write down can be triggers that cause mood changes.

There is a great web site "depression central" put together by Dr. Ivan Goldberg and it is full of information about depression.  You can even do a self inventory on yourself relating to depression; there is also an inventory on anxiety.

Seeing a therapist may help you.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) may help your negative think and also to quit thinking "what if" because it can cause anxiety.  If you cannot afford to see a therapist, look up CBT on the internet.  And look for "irrational thinking" - CBT helps to turn irrational thinking (What if)- negative thoughts into positive ones.

Running and/or jogging has helped many people feel better. They say they get the runner's "high" and enjoy running.  Swimming is also good - any kind of exercise that works a lot of body muscle.

Mentally - When you have a negative thought - tell yourself that you need to change it to a more positive thought. This is practicing some of CBT therapy.  The "What if" thinking causes anxiety, drains your energy, makes you worry more and it is also a waste of time because we cannot predict the near future or the far future.

The first best thing to do is see a therapist.  The therapist can guide you into using CBT.
However, if your moods or depression last for a couple of weeks, go see a Psychiatrist. Psychiatrists know more about brain chemistry and moods that regular doctors do.

There are two natural medications that may help you. You can by them at any health food store, any drug store and a vitamen and health store.  The first one is St. John's Wort.  Let your doctor know you are taking this because it may interfer with some medications.  Try it for one month and see how you feel.  The second one is "5 HTP".   If St. John's wort did not help you, then try this for a month.  Let your doctor know about this too.

Hope some of my suggestions can help you.

Take care,

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.