Dealing with Depression/do i need help?

Question
Am I crazy? I feel empty and worthless I feel that darkness is eating me up, whenever I'm like this I can't help but think about cutting myself I want to see something bleed, I want to feel pain, I want to hurt, I keep seeing this image of myself stabbing an eye, digging throw my chest down to my heart, I want to bleach everything out, paint it black, I want to take my eyes out, reach deep in my throat and grab my breath. I feel scared, lost, empty, very hollow and lonely. I never want anyone to find out how much of a freak I am, I feel sick, sick of everything, I just want to fly. I'm not a violent person so I don't think I would go as far as doing any of that, but still what if I snapped? The road to madness is very easy after all, very easy indeed. What should I do? Must I tell someone? In my poems; they're always dark about bloodshed and suffering, those who read some, say its dark and scary. Will this fade? Will I lose my sanity? Is this depression? Or madness?

Answer
Hi Ai,

I am sorry to hear how down you are.  Depression can cause all of that negative thinking.
The more you think negatively, the worse it will get without help.

You do need to see a doctor to be assessed.
Also, look at your family background.  Are their others suffering from depression and also anxiety? Your parents; siblings, grandparents, aunts or uncles?   If so, your depression may be
genetic.  So do go get help.

Meanwhile, there are over the counter items that may help.  Look the following up on the web and also let your doctor know what you are taking.

St. John's wort;  5 htp; if you have trouble sleeping try Melatonin;
and go to a health food store and ask the clerk what is popular for people with depression.

Also there is an oldie but goodie book: Power of positive thinking by Norman Vincent Peale

The negative things you think about doing will not help you at all.  Go see a doctor about your depression.  I think that that is the root of your problem.

Take care,

Dr. Pat

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.