Dealing with Depression/Can supplements help when medication doesn`t?

I have severe, treatment-resistant depression. I`ve tried more than a dozen different medications in various doses and combinations, but I`m still depressed. Have you ever had a case where someone who didn`t respond to medicine was helped by supplements, etc.? What supplements are best?

Hi Mary,

Antidepressant medication only benefit a minority of patients. They may mask symptoms but do little to cure the underlying biochemical abnormalities that are responsible for depression and other mood disorders. The underlying biological abnormalities that i am referring to are many, but the most important of these is hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please read:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

Depression is a Disease of Energy Production

Please discuss the with your doctor or get a referral to a nutritional doctor.
I hope this helps you.
Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:  

Dealing with Depression

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)

See My Career as a Nutritional Psychotherapist at: