Dealing with Depression/Can't Stop Feeling Sorry For Myself

Put simply, I'm not very happy with the way my life is going. No matter how hard I try or work, I can't find any king of success. I can't get any extra hours at work, my part-time business is going nowhere, I can't get a girlfriend, yet I am surrounded by people who have it good.

I'm the only one in the family who does not have a full time job, owns a house but rather lives in an apartment where the ceiling leaks in my bedroom, I have never been out on a date, and I'm the only one on financial assistance. These days, I can't even hold my head up high around the rest of the family, then again, I never did.

I hate my life. I just don't care anymore about how things are going. I know I'm going to grow up old and alone. I'll never have the pride of owning my own house, never get off financial assistance, or ever find true happiness. I just can't stop feeling sorry for myself. How can everyone around me be so happy when I'm so miserable? What can I do?

Stop judging your own seccess or failure by comparing to others.
Every one in this world is dealt a different hand, thus we are all playing different games, by different rules.
What works for them may not work for you, and playing by their standards will just set you up for more disappointments.
Start playing the game your way, make changes in your way that mean something to you.
Start thinking about what you can do rather than what "they" are doing.
There is no script to life.
You make your own as you go along.

Dealing with Depression

Johnny St. Tai

It is okay to feel down and out once every so often, as long as you know to reach out for the hands that will pull you back up. I can answer questions about self esteem improvement, relationship with others, depression, and sexuality. I will/cannot give medical advice without an actual examination of the person and his/her medical history, so for those issues, best to find a local specialist/doctor to be safe.

Ten years of professional and volunteer counseling, and volunteering for the Crisis Center. Born of a conflict-laiden family, I've walked through violance, addiction, abuse, and more. I survived, scarred but still strong, and I will do my best to help others do the same.

Richmond Chimo Crisis Center

Interpersonal/Social Relation Specialist, University of British Colombia Socialwork, 2005.

over 500.