Dealing with Depression/depression and antidepressants

hi! i'm a 20 yo female. i have been diagnosed with depression and have been taking fluoxetine 20mg everyday for the past 6 months. one week ago i started feeling pain in my jaw muscles. i read in online forums that bruxism may be a side effect of fluoxetine. is it possible that my jaw pain is a side effect that came out after six months?  within the last 6 months i also took alprazolam for anxiety and aripiprazole which i only stopped last week. thank you!

Hi Andi,

Side effects usually occur during the first couple of weeks of a medication -  so it is unusually, to me, that it could cause bruxism 6 months later.  However, I have heard a few cases where two women on fluoxetine caused double vision after 2 or 3 months.

Let your doctor know about your problem and you may need a different type of medication.  Also, look up fluoxeine side effects on the internet to see what it says.

For bruxism, you need to see a dentist to get a mold taken of your teeth and you will have to wear a device, from that mold, at night to stop bruxism from wearing your teeth down.  Your jaw pain should stop with the new mouth retainer.

Dr. Pat  

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.