Dealing with Depression/Does depression lie to you?

Hi. I was feeling good lately, but the past couple of days, I felt depressed again. I have quit my medicine that wasn't working. I am getting bad thoughts like feeling worthless, not enough, no one likes/loves me, etc, I don't have a future. I did see a couple of articles that say those kind o thoughts could be lying to you, or manipulating you. Even if I don't see or talk with family often, we're good when we get together but how do I know if those thoughts about how I'm not enough, worthless, etc are telling the truth or not?

It is very safe to just assume all those thoughts are not true, they aren't even yours, they're just your body/brain messing with you. Every day, make a diary, write down things you like about yourself, good things you do, and then note down the bad feelings and compare them item by item. You'll soon see that these bad feelings are just extra noises to be ignored.

Dealing with Depression

Johnny St. Tai

It is okay to feel down and out once every so often, as long as you know to reach out for the hands that will pull you back up. I can answer questions about self esteem improvement, relationship with others, depression, and sexuality. I will/cannot give medical advice without an actual examination of the person and his/her medical history, so for those issues, best to find a local specialist/doctor to be safe.

Ten years of professional and volunteer counseling, and volunteering for the Crisis Center. Born of a conflict-laiden family, I've walked through violance, addiction, abuse, and more. I survived, scarred but still strong, and I will do my best to help others do the same.

Richmond Chimo Crisis Center

Interpersonal/Social Relation Specialist, University of British Colombia Socialwork, 2005.

over 500.