Dealing with Depression/stress

Hi,   I am going to retire in June after a very stressful, hectic but rewarding professional career.  I haven't thought about what retirement will do and our preparations have just been material.
  My wife broke out in a rash that the doctor says is stress and I can't sleep because of stress.  I think we are both afraid of being depressed after being so busy and then having nothing to do.
  Can you offer any suggestions on avoiding depression?

Most likely you'll find that you're busier than ever after retiring since you suddenly have a chance to try all sorts of things. This is a good time to travel, to volunteer for worthy causes, and to start new lasting projects that you never tried before.

Dealing with Depression

Johnny St. Tai

It is okay to feel down and out once every so often, as long as you know to reach out for the hands that will pull you back up. I can answer questions about self esteem improvement, relationship with others, depression, and sexuality. I will/cannot give medical advice without an actual examination of the person and his/her medical history, so for those issues, best to find a local specialist/doctor to be safe.

Ten years of professional and volunteer counseling, and volunteering for the Crisis Center. Born of a conflict-laiden family, I've walked through violance, addiction, abuse, and more. I survived, scarred but still strong, and I will do my best to help others do the same.

Richmond Chimo Crisis Center

Interpersonal/Social Relation Specialist, University of British Colombia Socialwork, 2005.

over 500.