Dealing with Employees/Helping a coworker made my performance low

Question
My Manager/Team Lead has asked me to buddy up with a poor performer on our team to improve his performance. I did this. However, while my buddy’s performance has significantly improved, mine has started to decline. I assume this should not affect my score since I am helping a colleague, I am concerned. I realize that this might impact my score rating as well as my chances for a promotion. I begin to share my frustration with others on my team and complain about what I believe are unrealistic expectations that my manager/team lead has imposed on me. What should I do?

Answer
Hi Jane,

Thanks for writing in. Quite a situation, where you might lose out yourself, in your attempt to genuinely help another :-)

First of all, you have not made it clear WHY your performance has started to decline. I assume it is correlated with the buddy effort - and you are finding less time to devote to your own tasks.

In that case, you would have to be extremely very clear on one thing: Responsibility comes before help. What you are trying to do for your colleague is a help. Doing your own tasks is a responsibility. The former cannot be done at the cost of the latter.

Suggestions:
- Check if the effort spent in time is actually IMPACTING your work, or just making it harder(You have to work 10 hours instead of 8, or juggle 10 things instead of 5)
- If it is impacting your work(you are missing your own deadlines, or even unable to implement good ideas you had thought of) simply draw a clear line. Step back on the help. Say "Am sorry, but am working on something right now. Can we do this at ...." and then do not feel bad about it.
- If it is making things more difficult, see if there is scope for productivity. Are you DOING his tasks or helping him learn to do them? Many times we slip into the former because "I can do it myself in 15 minutes. Explaining would take an hour" But that 1 hour is an investment that saves you 10 more in future. The 15 minutes have to be put in repeatedly forever....
- He seems to be really learning, so his abilities do not seem to be in question. So no issues there. This should also be a good reason to start stepping back and focussing back on your own tasks.

So in short, do not assume what will happen to your score. A good mechanism will reflect your performance(good or bad), regardless of the reasons behind it.

Regards
Vijayraj

Dealing with Employees

Vijayraj Kamat