Dealing with Employees/Background data sent out to wrong candidate..

I interviewed with a company.  Submitted a resume and had 4 rounds of interviews.  Then they asked for me to complete a background check with a 3rd party company.  I completed it and received an offer that I refused from the company.  Now a different candidate from the company has contacted me saying they sent him MY BACKGROUND REPORT.  I getting a copy of what was sent out from the candidate that contacted me.  What should I do and what is my recourse?

Dear Rick:

Very sorry to hear of this situation.  Unfortunately, this is a legal employment issue.  I am not an attorney. Therefore, I recommend that you consult someone on AllExperts or elsewhere who has expertise in employment law.

Ed Parr

Dealing with Employees

Ed Parr

How to organize employees, how to stop infighting, how to handle problem employees, and more. I have 25+ yrs. of managing within a variety of industries and labor environments. I have managed from 50 to 1,000 staff on projects with P&L responsibility ranging from $100K to $30MIL. I currently serve as a management consultant to business and government. I enjoy helping people, especially supervisors and managers, evolve in their careers.

Over 15 years of senior management experience including: systems development, technical help desks, customer service, back-office operations, branch administration and regulatory compliance. Responsibilities have been as large as 1,000 professionals delivering projects with P&L as high as $30 million and assets totaling more than $10 billion. Customer interaction has ranged from customer service reps to CEOs. Greatest accomplishment: Helping employees be all they can be.

Institute of Management Accountants (

Purchase my book "NATURAL BORN MANAGER" at (get a 10% discount via the Pay-It-Forward link).

A graduate With Distinction of the Thunderbird School of Global Management, Ed is a 35-year veteran of organizational leadership. He is a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A) who has worked in management positions ranging from team leader to senior executive. He has managed as many as 1,000 employees deployed in multi-site facilities and consulted with or managed for both large and small organizations including Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, E.D.S., PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Sprint Corporation. In addition, Ed is an 10-year contributor to as a pro bono management expert, advising managers, supervisors, and employees around the globe providing them practical solutions to their everyday workplace challenges. Finally, Ed is an avowed Accountability Manager who strives to learn and educate others about the fundamental truths of management.