Dealing with Employees/medical leave

Hi I have an employee that filed a claim for Workers comp.  She claims a child pulled her hair and of course this caused a sprained neck, lower back issues and pain down her leg.  It was denied.  Because she is under the care of a doctor, how long do I hold her job?  She is a bad employee to begin with.  Calling out weekly and now this.  Any suggestions?  What should I lookout for and I know she sued another company and won.  I'm really at a loss.  She will see her doctor in a week and he may release her to go back to work.  Because she was on narcotics I told her she cannot come to work and be responsible for children.  Now after two weeks she has a doctors note.  

Help and thank you,  Kelly

Dear Kelly:

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, I'm not a labor lawyer.  So, my input on the legalities of handling a workman's comp. employee situation would be lacking.  So, my advice for you is to contact your Human Resource Dept. and/or your Legal Dept. to get the legal advice you need about workman's comp. claims and how to handle such employees while they are in this status. If you don't have access to either of these professional teams, then look for a labor law expert on this website to get some valid legal input.

One more point: If this employee successfully exits workman's comp. status and returns to work for you as a full or part-time employee with no special legal status, write me again.  Ask the question you imply above...How to handle a problem employee?  I've got a great answer for that situation, but it will not be useful to you unless your legal department is satisfied that the employee in question is reinstated as a regular (no special legal treatment) employee.

Dealing with Employees

Ed Parr

How to organize employees, how to stop infighting, how to handle problem employees, and more. I have 25+ yrs. of managing within a variety of industries and labor environments. I have managed from 50 to 1,000 staff on projects with P&L responsibility ranging from $100K to $30MIL. I currently serve as a management consultant to business and government. I enjoy helping people, especially supervisors and managers, evolve in their careers.

Over 15 years of senior management experience including: systems development, technical help desks, customer service, back-office operations, branch administration and regulatory compliance. Responsibilities have been as large as 1,000 professionals delivering projects with P&L as high as $30 million and assets totaling more than $10 billion. Customer interaction has ranged from customer service reps to CEOs. Greatest accomplishment: Helping employees be all they can be.

Institute of Management Accountants (

Purchase my book "NATURAL BORN MANAGER" at (get a 10% discount via the Pay-It-Forward link).

A graduate With Distinction of the Thunderbird School of Global Management, Ed is a 35-year veteran of organizational leadership. He is a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A) who has worked in management positions ranging from team leader to senior executive. He has managed as many as 1,000 employees deployed in multi-site facilities and consulted with or managed for both large and small organizations including Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, E.D.S., PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Sprint Corporation. In addition, Ed is an 10-year contributor to as a pro bono management expert, advising managers, supervisors, and employees around the globe providing them practical solutions to their everyday workplace challenges. Finally, Ed is an avowed Accountability Manager who strives to learn and educate others about the fundamental truths of management.