Dealing with Employees/What does it mean when a company has a union?

Question
I've been reading Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits, which says: "those companies that still have no union or a company union probably also have well above average labor and personnel relations."
What does it mean when a company has a union, and how can you tell that a company has a union?

Answer
Dear Philip:

Thank you for your questions.  

What is a union? Unions are a legal construct all investors should understand. Why? Because unions are essentially a legal agreement among the rank-and-file workers (not management) to negotiate pay, working conditions, and employee benefits as ONE person.  This means that all the company's rank-and-file workers must vote to have a union represent them in their labor negotiations with management. Collective bargaining, as such unionized negotiations are termed, makes it more difficult for management to hold down the costs of its labor force. Essentially, negotiating for all employees as ONE gives the labor union greater bargaining power with management.

Why should this be a concern for an investor?  Because labor unions negotiate higher wages and benefits for their members, the employees.  Unions also make it more difficult for management to promote great workers and fire bad ones. They also negotiate expensive bureaucratic work rules that make it difficult for managers to manage the workforce efficiently.  All of these things that unions do for their members raise the company's cost of doing business which in turn lowers profits. And, when a unionized company's profits are lower than its competitors' cost of doing business because they don't have unions to deal with, then the value of the unionized company's stock price falls relative to its competitors' stock price. Hence, you probably would want to invest in a company that didn't have a unionized workforce because those companies' operating costs would be lower than companies with unions.

Final question: How do you know a company has a union or not?  This requires your research. If the company is a public company, i.e., publicly trades its stock on a national exchange, then their Annual Report should reveal whether or not they are unionized.  So, read the company's annual report.  Also, you could probably google the "company's name" and "labor union" which should return several entries that will answer this question for you.

Philip, I hope this response helps you resolve this challenge.  Also, be aware that my book NATURAL BORN MANAGER (available at www.edparr.com) is a very useful tool for resolving many of the common and most of the uncommon managerial challenges you will ever encounter.  The best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Ed Parr

Dealing with Employees

Ed Parr