Dealing with Employees/Common work training mistakes

Question
Hello,

I am interested in applying for a Training Coordinator position with my organization and was wondering if you can you think of some of the most common mistakes made when it comes to developing/implementing and evaluating work site training initiatives? Also, any best practices?

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thank you!
Kristen

Answer
Hi Kristen,

Training is an important factor in workplace productivity.  It teaches skill sets, enhances skills and keeps employees informed of concepts that should assist them in doing their jobs.

Sometimes, organizations focus on training programs that don't have much value for the employee. That's because there's not proper feedback from training attendees about the quality of the training attended. So training classes recirculate over and over, even though they were viewed as negative by attendees. The solution: Following attendance to a training class, have employees report back to the training officer or supervise about the class; was it useful, did it offer anything the employee would apply to his/her job; would that class be recommended for others; was the trainer for the class effective and someone we should use again, and how might the training be improved?

Oftentimes, training programs aren't viewed positively because the classes don't offer what people need or want.  The solution:  Canvass management staff and find out what training topics are of importance to them.  Examples would be trainings that refresh policies and procedures or mandatory training such as sexual harassment or diversity training.  Then, canvass the troops and see what trainings they would like to have.  The next step is finding trainers to teach the classes.  Trainers could come from in-house staff who are well thought of and viewed as highly knowledgeable on a particular job aspect or from outside the organization.  Like the classes being taught, trainers need to be evaluated for their effectiveness in delivering the class.

Trainings sometimes are boring and aren't geared for the different types of attendee learning styles because they offer very little variety in teaching methods.  The solution:  steer away from lecture type classes or those that don't include tools for all learning styles.  Instead favor trainings that offer a variety of presentations, video, lots of interactive activities that hit all of the different kinds of learners in the class.

Take care.  I wish you well.

Alice J. Bogert  

Dealing with Employees

Alice Bogert