Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/misrepresentation

I am renting an apartment and the agent of the tenant called me. He told me that the owner wanted to see the apartment because he bought it at auction and had never been there, the day they came the realtor was with three other people, one that he introduced as the owner and the couple as the owners friends. When they were looking at the house the realtor took me to the side to talk about renewing the lease while the "owner" showed the house to his "friends". I learned afterwards that the owner wasn't the owner and that it was a realtor and his friends were clients it was an actual showing. Can the realtor do that? is that legal?

I'd find the name of the real owner and send them a letter stating what happened.  You can look up the owner's name in public records.
Normally, the owner or an agent of the owner, which includes the manager if there is one, can only enter your apartment after they have given you 24 hour notice.  If you have not received notice, you are under no obligation to let them in.  However, if they did give you at least 24 hour notice, you do have to let them in for whatever purpose they want, including showing the property to prospective buyers.  It wasn't right for the agent to lie to you, but they do have the right to enter with notice.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry

I can answer questions pertaining to: - How to find an agent that fits your needs - How to compensate your agent (commissions, incentives, flat fees, and more) - How to communicate with your agent before and during your transaction - How to initiate dispute resolution with an agent I cannot answer questions pertaining to: - Potential litigation or other legal matters

I am a licensed California real estate broker (CalBRE 01370983) specializing in residential brokerage, property management, and estate services. I have been licensed since 2003 and am currently working as an independent broker in the San Francisco Bay area.

Bay East Association of REALTORS(R) Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS(R) California Association of REALTORS(R) National Association of REALTORS(R)

In addition to my own web site, my blogs, articles and responses to consumer questions appear online at,, and other real estate forums. My answers also appear in several categories relating to real estate on

BS, Business Administration MBA, Globa Management

My clients are: - Consumers searching for a primary residence or vacation home - Investors buying and/or managing residential income property - Estates in probate requiring temporary management and property sales support