Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Real Estate

I live in North Georgia. I own a home on 2.295 acres. My neighbor put his home up for sale and found out after a survey that about 1/4 of his home is on my property. The builder was called in and he did a survey he confirmed it was true.  The land involved is a little less then 1/2 an acre. My neighbor had a meeting with the builder and was hinted that I could be forced to sell the property if I did not take the builders offer.  The builder offered $3,500. Based on the price I paid for the house and land that 1/2 acre cost me about $12,000. My question is, can I be forced to sell the land to the builder and if so can I be force to take his offer. Thank You. Steven Burgess

Normally you can't be forced to sell, but you may find yourself forced to grant an easement.  The problem is that the builder should have had a survey staked as part of his permit process.  Lacking that, you should have ordered a survey when you saw construction started to protect yourself.  I recommend you hire an attorney to help you with this.  Don't say another word to the builder or the neighbor, refer them to your attorney.  Your situation is a common problem discussed in real estate law classes.  The solution is usually found in court.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry

I can answer questions pertaining to: - How to find an agent that fits your needs - How to compensate your agent (commissions, incentives, flat fees, and more) - How to communicate with your agent before and during your transaction - How to initiate dispute resolution with an agent I cannot answer questions pertaining to: - Potential litigation or other legal matters

I am a licensed California real estate broker (CalBRE 01370983) specializing in residential brokerage, property management, and estate services. I have been licensed since 2003 and am currently working as an independent broker in the San Francisco Bay area.

Bay East Association of REALTORS(R) Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS(R) California Association of REALTORS(R) National Association of REALTORS(R)

In addition to my own web site, my blogs, articles and responses to consumer questions appear online at,, and other real estate forums. My answers also appear in several categories relating to real estate on

BS, Business Administration MBA, Globa Management

My clients are: - Consumers searching for a primary residence or vacation home - Investors buying and/or managing residential income property - Estates in probate requiring temporary management and property sales support