Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Finding a Good Real Estate Agent

I have property I’d like to sell.  I moved from it about five years ago and had difficulty selling the house in the declining housing market, so I decided to rent it.  I’ve now decided to try to sell it again, and I’m not sure how to find a good real estate agent that understands investment property and will be patient with my interest in getting at least market value for the house.  I went through three real estate agents when I first tried to sell the house, all with poor results, and that was with an empty house.  Now that I have renters, I’m really worried.  I want to sell the house, but I’m not desperate to sell it, so I’m looking for an agent who will actively try to show it, but treat me as a customer and not an employee, and also one knows something about dealing with renters and investment properties.  I would appreciate any advice you can provide in getting started.  Thanks in advance.

Dear Joe;

Thank you for your contact. I'd suggest checking the Yellow Pages for an "apartment finding," or other similar rental service. You may find one that is also a real estate broker, or such a company is likely to be in a good position to recommend one with whom they've had experience. This is approaching your challenge from the back side, but often turning the view of a problem in the reverse leads to a solution.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

Denis A. Caravella

From the general public and real estate professionals alike, I am qualified to answer questions relating to the ethical and legal practice of the real estate profession. From the general public these would be questions arising mostly from interaction with licensed agents; questions about contracts, fairness issues, or whether an agent is practicing honestly or legally. From licensed agents, questions may involve such topics as their relationship with their licensing authority, challenges from clients, or whether proposed business models are in compliance with state license law or federal law. I prefer to avoid questions regarding marketplace discussions, such as how an agent may best compete in the marketplace, how a seller of real estate may competitively market a property, or whether a buyer should or should not make certain purchases. Not being an attorney I can only research existing statutes and rules, not interpret them, and not provide legal advice.

I am a licensed real estate broker in Illinois and Florida, and I am a licensed instructor of real estate in Illinois. I own and operate as lead instructor a licensed real estate continuing education school in Illinois. On behalf of the State of Illinois, I evaluate all real estate instructor applicants.

National Association of Realtors. Association of Illinois Real Estate Educators.

Licensed real estate broker—Illinois. Licensed real estate broker—Florida. Licensed real estate instructor for continuing education—Illinois. Graduate of ethics training—National Association of Realtors.