Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Realtors commission.

If I hire a realtor to sell my home,does the seller always pay the realtors commission or sometimes does both the buyer & seller pay?Thanks!

You do not have to pay a commission to the buyer's broker even though that is the tradition. Four properties priced over $10 million I often suggest to the seller that they do not pay a commission to the buyer's broker and offers still come in. Just make sure you get the commission agreement written into your listing agreement and make sure your agent enters it correctly in the MLS listing.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry

I can answer questions pertaining to: - How to find an agent that fits your needs - How to compensate your agent (commissions, incentives, flat fees, and more) - How to communicate with your agent before and during your transaction - How to initiate dispute resolution with an agent I cannot answer questions pertaining to: - Potential litigation or other legal matters

I am a licensed California real estate broker (CalBRE 01370983) specializing in residential brokerage, property management, and estate services. I have been licensed since 2003 and am currently working as an independent broker in the San Francisco Bay area.

Bay East Association of REALTORS(R) Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS(R) California Association of REALTORS(R) National Association of REALTORS(R)

In addition to my own web site, my blogs, articles and responses to consumer questions appear online at,, and other real estate forums. My answers also appear in several categories relating to real estate on

BS, Business Administration MBA, Globa Management

My clients are: - Consumers searching for a primary residence or vacation home - Investors buying and/or managing residential income property - Estates in probate requiring temporary management and property sales support