Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Question about Agents

I want to start of by saying that my question is not one that you are probably use to. My question has to do with the actual job of being a Real Estate Agent, rather than the buying or selling of any property, so I apologize, in advance, if this is not a proper question.

My question is, would it be possible to be a real estate agent if you had to move around a lot?  I am a writer and am currently writing a story about a girl and her mom who are on the run and hiding from the girl's dad. Would it be believable if the mother was a real estate agent even though she has to move to a new state or a new town every 6 months to a year? I mean, there are houses everywhere that she could sell, right? Also, because she is in hiding, she changes her name a lot too. Would it be possible to be a successful real estate agent if you had to change your name every few years?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question. I would really appreciate any information that you could give me on the subject. I am trying to make my story seem as realistic as possible.

Thanks again,

Hi Tracy,
In the original "Stepfather" movie, the stepfather was a real estate agent who had assumed a new identity after murdering his previous family.  Had he not been stopped, he planned to do it again.
Real estate sales purists would tell you that real estate would not be a good profession for your character because:
- agents are licensed in each state, so moving around would be limited
- agents undergo criminal background checks before a license is granted and licenses are confirmed every time a transaction takes place, so assuming a new identify periodically would be tough
- selling enough real estate to support even a 2-person family takes years of marketing and name recognition development within a single geographic location
But I say go for it.  Here's why.
- overcoming tough obstacles makes the character more dramatic/respected/beloved
- everyone knows a real estate agent, so much of the character development is filled in by the reader's own experience and imagination
- agents have many of the same character traits as a mother on the run: 1) protective of what they have 2) constantly thinking on their feet 3) always hiding something 4) always trying to think 3 steps ahead to survive
- hiding in plain sight keeps the character interesting and your readers on their toes
- real estate agents come in and out of the business all the time, so your character doing so wouldn't draw a lot of attention
- a pretty agent who knows the business can move to any location and drum up business fast if they know how to use their charm
I hope this is helpful.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry

I can answer questions pertaining to: - How to find an agent that fits your needs - How to compensate your agent (commissions, incentives, flat fees, and more) - How to communicate with your agent before and during your transaction - How to initiate dispute resolution with an agent I cannot answer questions pertaining to: - Potential litigation or other legal matters

I am a licensed California real estate broker (CalBRE 01370983) specializing in residential brokerage, property management, and estate services. I have been licensed since 2003 and am currently working as an independent broker in the San Francisco Bay area.

Bay East Association of REALTORS(R) Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS(R) California Association of REALTORS(R) National Association of REALTORS(R)

In addition to my own web site, my blogs, articles and responses to consumer questions appear online at,, and other real estate forums. My answers also appear in several categories relating to real estate on

BS, Business Administration MBA, Globa Management

My clients are: - Consumers searching for a primary residence or vacation home - Investors buying and/or managing residential income property - Estates in probate requiring temporary management and property sales support