Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Detention Ponds

Question
Hi John - several questions for you: 1)As a real estate broker, if a house that you were showing, in the middle of a snow-covered winter, contained a detention pond easement that spanned the last 50 feet of a 90 foot back yard - would you reveal, it from the outset, to your clients? 2)In your experience in California, would the existence of such a pond have a negative impact on the home's value and marketability? 3)At what point in your transactions do you make any red flags in the title commitment letter known to the buyers?  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Homer - any type of easement needs to be disclosed to potential buyers as soon as the property goes on the market.  In my opinion, every type of easement has a negative impact on the value of land because it restricts what you can do with it.
The title commitment process begins with preparation of the Preliminary Title Report, which is usually completed prior to putting the property on the market.  The report should also list all easements and the title company (or the seller) should make available a copy of the recorded document that grants the easement.  Even though the title company usually catches any problems when they prepare the report, it's not uncommon in my area to find problems later that slipped past them.  However, the title commitment usually accompanies the title report.
I hope this helps.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry