Real Estate: Dealing with Agents/Question

Good day
With reference to the rental of a townhome that I rented through a realtor last year and would like to rent it on my own to the same tenant without a realtor this year I have the following questions:
1. If renting out the property on my own (without an agent), the lease stated that I had to have a new lease. Someone mentioned to me that I could probably type over the old lease with the same clauses etc. but have a typist change rewrite in own words. Is this acceptable and a normal practice?
2. When having the lease signed should the tenant or landlord sign first, if the lease has to be mailed to the other party to be signed?

I recommend you read the agreement you have with the agent first.  Most agreements state that the agent will continue to receive a commission as long as you rent to the tenant the agent brought you, though this is not always true.
You can buy a standard lease form, which you should find in a local office supply store, or ask a real estate attorney to provide one.  I wouldn't just re-type the one you have.
I don't think it matters who signs the lease first.  I usually have tenants sign 2 copies, and I sign 2 copies, so that each of us has a lease with original signatures.
This is what I would do here in the States, I understand you are in the Caribbean and may want to check with someone local to see if things must be done a different way there.

Real Estate: Dealing with Agents

John A. Souerbry

I can answer questions pertaining to: - How to find an agent that fits your needs - How to compensate your agent (commissions, incentives, flat fees, and more) - How to communicate with your agent before and during your transaction - How to initiate dispute resolution with an agent I cannot answer questions pertaining to: - Potential litigation or other legal matters

I am a licensed California real estate broker (CalBRE 01370983) specializing in residential brokerage, property management, and estate services. I have been licensed since 2003 and am currently working as an independent broker in the San Francisco Bay area.

Bay East Association of REALTORS(R) Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS(R) California Association of REALTORS(R) National Association of REALTORS(R)

In addition to my own web site, my blogs, articles and responses to consumer questions appear online at,, and other real estate forums. My answers also appear in several categories relating to real estate on

BS, Business Administration MBA, Globa Management

My clients are: - Consumers searching for a primary residence or vacation home - Investors buying and/or managing residential income property - Estates in probate requiring temporary management and property sales support