Dealing with Stress/i have no idea if this is stress or what

My name is Brian and I am a 18 years old male. Well, I have a weird tight throat on the 10th of November 2012. I really have no idea what this is. I browse through the web wasting a lot of time and found none match my symptoms. This started on Saturday when I woke up and found a weird tightening feeling at my throat. it is my left throat just beside my "adam's apple". no inflammation feeling at all. I thought it is because I sleep late and I woke up at 10:30 am that day, so I did not bother it at all. Well it has been 9 days since then but still have no idea what is going on. When I wake up in the morning, I will start feeling the tightening of throat on the left side of my throat just beside my "adam's apple", this happens every morning when I wake up, when I am in the class I feel this again so I turn my head up and down and it becomes more tight, I was just experimenting what it when it become tight, so I move it up and down again today in my class and it is the same as well and it becomes more tight.

It also happens everytime I take a bath and it will last for an hour or so....., when I think of embarrassing stuff it will happen again or when I get confused of lessons teach in the class it will happen as well too. Should I wait or should I go to doctor expertise in "Otolaryngology" ? I just feel scare about this feeling and it feels like a "light strangle" that keep bothering me and I am obviously scared.

Hi Brian,

This is most likely one of the symptoms you are experiencing which is stress related.

The body has all sorts of wonderful and weird ways of responding to stress, and if you research on the internet you will likely find a really good explanation of the flight and fight response. All of our symptoms related to an excess of stress are almost invariably related to the body systems which are affected by adrenaline.

If you are still unsure, then by all means visit your doctor to rule out anything more serious.

The likelihood though is that what started as a dry throat, has turned into what you are experiencing.  The more you look for it, and try to find it occurring, the more likely you will experience it again.

You have indicated that it occurs when you get stressed, and also conversely when you begin to unwind.  I would be pretty confident saying there is a link there.

Ask you doctor if he can help with reducing your stress, through relaxation classes or counselling or similar.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you need more help.

Warm regards,

Dealing with Stress

James Middleton

I am happy answering questions about handling stress and panic attacks, overwork and similar problems.

I am a practicing hypnotherapist of 22 years experience and a qualified Occupational Therapist in community mental health.

UK Journal of Association for Neurolinguistic Processing.

Dip Cot, Certificate in Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy, Certificate in Co-counselling, Reiki 1, Reiki 2, and Reiki Masters. Practitioner of NLP

WARP Freefall Coach for the British Parachute Association.

Ericksonian Hypnotherapy blog