Dealing with Stress/tired all weekend

Question
I am 55, male, in good general health.
I work Monday to Friday as a city bus driver. The work is fairly stressfull, and my shift is 5pm to 1am.
During the work week I am fine, I get up about nine, do chores, have a small nap in the afternoon, then go to work.
On Saturdays, I basicly just want to be a couch potato-I call this my recovery day. Sundays arent much better-I may go shopping with my wife.
After three or more days I am normal-but weekends are only two days!
Is this pretty normal?

Answer
Hi Bud,

A hard working stressful job such as yours is very wearing.

I am not at all surprised you spend all of Saturday resting. And, it is good that Sundays are a little better.

You might find that an earlier shift is less stressful, and hence less wearing.

What you are describing is pretty normal for most of the working population I would imagine.  When I used to do a 14 hour day driving lorries a few years back, I found I was a couch potato for both Saturdays and Sundays.

If you are worried about your lack of energy, then a visit to your doctor might be a good idea, so that you can have a complete health check.  Just to ensure that all is well physically.

You also might benefit from learning self hypnosis or meditation to practice daily, this might make a difference too.

Let me know if you need more help.

Warm regards,

James

Dealing with Stress

James Middleton