Dealing with Stress/stress

Question
Hi
im 22 years old girl. People keep saying that I'm fat and ugly since I was young.so, I've been scared to talk to people since then . I don't know how to talk to people and don't know how to socialize with people. I've been so quiet since young but it is even worse now.I don't even talk to my family members and always lock myself in the room I'm very stress about my physical appearance. I have normal BMI. I weight 54kg. Still people keep saying I'm fat. I'm trying to lose weight but over past 2 weeks I just manage to lose 1kg. I even feel so uncomfortable with my body cuz I think I'm so fat. My friends also keep saying my face is so ugly. I talked about this with my family but they keep saying I should focus in my study instead of worrying about these things.Now, I'm very scared to go to the class and feel really hopelesss.please help me out.tq.

Answer
Hi Caroline,

Peers can be especially cruel, especially if they think we are different in some way - and will find ways to be mean and unkind.  If you have a history of being quiet, this will prompt some people to be mean to you.

The fact is, these insults have nothing to do with you, and are simply a way of others feeling better about themselves by picking on someone who is quieter and doesn't stand up for themselves.

Although it's hard, you have to learn to ignore these comments and concentrate on your studies.

If you find that too hard, then perhaps it's time to seek professional help - a counsellor or hypnotherapist should help you feel much better about yourself.

Good luck in your progress.

Please contact me again if you need more help.

Warm regards,

James

Dealing with Stress

James Middleton