Decks/Building a deck over an exsisting concrete porch

maribeth magby wrote at 2014-04-04 03:22:06
Just a comment . So grateful!!! I has a guy tell me I have to remove the top if the stoop because if moisture!!!! Thank you!!!

Decks

David McWethy

They say that "with age comes wisdom". Although I've found that just as often age comes alone, there is this to be said in favor of being a doddering old codger: With enough years to have made a large assortment of mistakes, and (I hope, anyway) by learning from them, and how they could have been avoided, I bring to the table a pretty broad general knowledge of construction how-to (and when-to) methods and accepted practices. If I don't know the answer I'll tell you that--instead of ducking the question--and suggest alternative sources you might consider using for the information you need. And finally: Im on your side. There is no question that is silly or stupid (except maybe How did Obama get elected???), and together well make a good team.

For 10 years I was a "hands-on" Facilities Manager in charge of--among other things--ADA and JCAHO plant, facility & safety management code compliance and the repair and maintenance of 15 buildings in a four-county catchment area for a community-based mental health system. Many of these had to have some form of ramp and rail to meet ADA handicap-access requirements. Subsequent to that I was "the crew of one" for the design and installation of all decks, rails, ramps, porches and stairs for the local Habitat for Humanity chapter; those which were part of the reconstruction of antebellum Headquarters House for the local historical society; and the William Jefferson Clinton Museum on the University of Arkansas campus.

Habitat For Humanity

Fine Woodworking; Cat Fancier's Magazine; and Today's Health

Bachelor of Arts cum laude in Political Science, 1971 Master of Public Administration, 1973

A basketful of collegiate and city management kudos which are of no value here. And, in retrospect, perhaps not worth the effort then.

Except for individual projects, my past and current clients are mentioned in the answers above.