Decks/Porcelin Tile Deck

I want to put porcelain tile on my deck.  The deck is 16 x 22 feet.  The stringers are 2 x 10s doubled 14" center to center, longest span 11 feet.  Can I screw down 3/4" treat plywood and put the tile on top of that.  Would I have to treat the plywood with anything before installing tile.  Tile size would be 16 x 16 or 18 x 18

Hello Pat, Everything sounds like it will hold up, I would do the plywood screwed and glued, then use a cement board on top of that then lay your tile. When finished seal it really good, any moisture that gets in can cause problems especially if it gets below freezing. Hope this helped.  

Eugene Clayton

I would be happy to answer any question reguarding the construction of decks, composites verses natural materials, structure support systems,railing applications,stair design, how to figure stairs etc.. Pretty much anything that has to do with decks and or porches.

I have been in the construction industry for over 27 years including new home construction, custom deck and screen porches. Most of my expertise is from framing custom homes for over 20 years. I now own and opperate a very successful custom deck and screen porch company in Atlanta Ga.

High school graduate