Decks/porch deck

Question
Hi Michael, I just moved in to a second floor apartment and it has a 16x5 wood deck porch. The problem I have is the spacing between the 2x4s that were used to build it. There is about 1/4 inch spacing between each plank and everything small that is dropped has a good chance of falling into the porch below. I don't want to be a rude neighbor and I don't necessarily want to purchase indoor/outdoor carpet. Is there anything I can fill these gaps with?

Answer
Hey Neal,

Well, this is basically a question of ingenuity, rather than something that someone like myself could necessarily ideally answer for you. Other than the indoor/outdoor carpet (or something similar) idea, I'm not coming up with much. There isn't really any certain product designed for that purpose, that I know of. Of course, you could hang some type of rubber, or screening, etc, under the deck, but that could be more of a job then it's worth. 1/4" sounds like a little too wide for any type of caulking. It would be falling down AS you were trying to apply it. Maybe some sort of plastic T-shaped molding...?

Do keep in mind, that whatever you end up doing, you should definitely retain enough drainage for rainwater, if there is a chance of it pooling up against the building or whatever.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, but best of luck with it, and let me know how you make out if you get the chance. :)

Michael

Decks

Michael Romano