Decks/porch deck

Hi Michael, I just moved in to a second floor apartment and it has a 16x5 wood deck porch. The problem I have is the spacing between the 2x4s that were used to build it. There is about 1/4 inch spacing between each plank and everything small that is dropped has a good chance of falling into the porch below. I don't want to be a rude neighbor and I don't necessarily want to purchase indoor/outdoor carpet. Is there anything I can fill these gaps with?

Hey Neal,

Well, this is basically a question of ingenuity, rather than something that someone like myself could necessarily ideally answer for you. Other than the indoor/outdoor carpet (or something similar) idea, I'm not coming up with much. There isn't really any certain product designed for that purpose, that I know of. Of course, you could hang some type of rubber, or screening, etc, under the deck, but that could be more of a job then it's worth. 1/4" sounds like a little too wide for any type of caulking. It would be falling down AS you were trying to apply it. Maybe some sort of plastic T-shaped molding...?

Do keep in mind, that whatever you end up doing, you should definitely retain enough drainage for rainwater, if there is a chance of it pooling up against the building or whatever.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, but best of luck with it, and let me know how you make out if you get the chance. :)

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.