Decks/changing deck layout

Hi Gary,

I have an old two tiered deck with boards that need replacing.  I believe the joists and posts are good, so I hope to just replace the top boards.  Is there a way to add a riser to the lower joists that will allow me to make this all one level.  And if by chance I find a bad joist can that be replaced without replacing the whole deck.  I don't know if this matters but I will be using the artificial wood boards.

Hi Dave.
Sorry so long in getting back to you.
Since I have not seen your deck, and the condition of the structure, I can not answer your questions. You need to have a professional assess the integrity of the deck before moving forward with any new surface.
Manufactured decking requires different structural allowances that the old wood decks. And building standards have evolved a lot in the last ten or twenty years. We certainly aren't building decks the way they used to.
I wish you well in your endeavor. But I encourage you to practice due diligence, and contact a professional
All the best.
Gary J Daley
America's DeckBuilder LLC

Gary J Daley

I can answer questions regarding decks, railings, screen enclosures and other backyard home improvement projects. As a recognized expert in new-age materials, I have a hands-on knowledge of cutting-edge composite and vinyl products.

In business here in South Jersey for twelve-plus years, I have won awards recognizing my expertise in high-end deck and lanai design and construction. Based in Barnegat and Toms River, New Jersey, my crew is building affordable quality throughout all of New Jersey.

Director, The North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA). Member, New Jersey Business and Industry Association (NJBIA)

Professional Deck Builder Magazine; The Currents of New Jersey; The BeachComber News, of Brigantine, NJ.

BA in Journalism (minor in English), 1995, Penn State University.

2009 New Jersey NADRA Deck of the Year: Categories Best Low Maintenance Deck under 500 square feet; Best Overall deck project. 2010 New Jersey NADRA Deck of the Year: Category: Best Low Maintenance Deck Under 500 square feet.