Decks/changing deck layout

Question
Hi Gary,

I have an old two tiered deck with boards that need replacing.  I believe the joists and posts are good, so I hope to just replace the top boards.  Is there a way to add a riser to the lower joists that will allow me to make this all one level.  And if by chance I find a bad joist can that be replaced without replacing the whole deck.  I don't know if this matters but I will be using the artificial wood boards.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Dave.
Sorry so long in getting back to you.
Since I have not seen your deck, and the condition of the structure, I can not answer your questions. You need to have a professional assess the integrity of the deck before moving forward with any new surface.
Manufactured decking requires different structural allowances that the old wood decks. And building standards have evolved a lot in the last ten or twenty years. We certainly aren't building decks the way they used to.
I wish you well in your endeavor. But I encourage you to practice due diligence, and contact a professional
All the best.
Gary J Daley
America's DeckBuilder LLC

Decks

Gary J Daley