Decks/Deck resurface

Hi Eugene,

I have an older two tiered deck that I plan to replace the top boards with composite boards.  Is there a way to put some type of riser on the lower joists to make it all one level?  As for the old joists, they appear to be in good condition still.  So I plan to paint them before putting the new boards on to help protect the joists longer.  I know ideally some one should inspect the structure, but no one will come out for that given I will be doing the work myself.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Dave, The best way to make it all one level is to either lower the upper or basically build another deck on top of the lower one, or try and raise the lower one with a few jacks and some temporaries. Kind of depends on how high it is off the ground. Hope this helped some. If you need any further assistance feel free to contact me again.  

Eugene Clayton

I would be happy to answer any question reguarding the construction of decks, composites verses natural materials, structure support systems,railing applications,stair design, how to figure stairs etc.. Pretty much anything that has to do with decks and or porches.

I have been in the construction industry for over 27 years including new home construction, custom deck and screen porches. Most of my expertise is from framing custom homes for over 20 years. I now own and opperate a very successful custom deck and screen porch company in Atlanta Ga.

High school graduate