I will start out by saying I don't know if I am at the right place for my question.

I have a second floor deck approximately 16' long 26' wide that I let my indoor cats go out and lay.  What I am wanting is to put a small electrical wire around the top of the railing so my cats will not jump up on it.  I have looked at electric fences but the shortest one is for 2 miles.  I just want to give my cats a little sting to stay off I don't want to electrocute them.

Any suggestions?

Well, this seems more of an electrical and/or pet ethics related type of a question, than one pertaining to actual deck building and repair, but I'll try my best...

Is it possible to install or remove a board at the top of the railing to make it too narrow for them to walk on? Maybe you could spray some sort of pet deterrent along the top of the rails. How about one of those "invisible fence" type of systems, where the animal wears a collar that shocks and/or beeps when they get too close to the wire (which is normally buried underground, but could be installed along the railing)? That's all I've got for ya in the way of ideas...haha. Best of luck with it. :)

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.