Decks/Roof over a deck

Question
I have a deck that is 25x39, and sits about 6 ft off the ground and is connected to the house.  I'd like to add a roof to this deck.  How much should this cost?

Answer
Hi Reggie,

Although I have built a few deck roofs over the years, my specialty is really the deck itself, and each time I had to price one, I had to do a LOT of figuring and basically take my best guess at what was to be a fair price. All I could really recommend is to add up all of the materials you will need, and break down each stage of the project into steps to figure out a labor price. Labor (as well as material) prices can also vary a good amount geographically.

A few things to keep in mind....it is usually a good idea (and a nicer look) to make the roof a foot or two wider than the deck at each end, and about a 2' soffit out past the front, particularly if you have a nice 2 foot soffit on the house to match. The roof being a little larger provides more shade, and more protection from angled rain & snow.

I also don't know if you have a flat vertical wall that runs up high enough on the house to accommodate your desired pitch...that is assuming this is even a shed style roof as opposed to a long run gable or some other style. If you are tying in to an existing house roof, your deck roof could possible run further up onto that than you might first realize...once again depending on the desired pitch and other factors.  

Decks

Michael Romano