Decks/Herringbone pattern on wooden deck

We are having our wooden deck reboarded. The original deck is herringbone pattern so the contractor (who is the same one who built the original deck) is simply following the pattern again. We are using a different kind of wood and the trouble is he is having a great deal of difficulty matching up the herringbone pattern this time. It starts off fine up against the wall, but then it starts to go off and by the time he reaches the end of a section it could be out 2". He is at a loss to know what to do, could you give any tips please?

I really couldn't say for sure without being there and seeing it of course. Is he doing it at 45 degrees or some other angle? Is he trying to match up with where the old deck boards were positioned, and maybe the new stuff is a different width. One would assume that an individual who was capable the first time around, would be only able to accomplish an equal or better result years later, having gained more experience. Are the boards (or were the old ones) crowned (curved) badly? Well, if you can follow up with any specifics or photos, I'd be happy to take a look and try to help figure it all out. :)
By the way, one major tip not screw or nail anything off until it's all set nicely. It only takes a few fasteners per board to hold it straight, until later, when you know for a fact everything is in the right place. :)

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.