Decks/deck roof

We have an addition on a floating slab.  In front is an attached deck.
We would like to put a roof all the way down the front and over the deck.  
We are afraid of attaching it to the building because it does move with the temperatures. It is in upstate NY.
What is the best way to put a room over this attached deck without attaching it to the addition which moves with the cold?

Hi Katy,

I'm not super familiar with working with floating slabs in my area. I'm curious how an "addition" which is presumably attached to a main house structure (?) is on a floating slab. I'm guessing that the same rules might apply to a deck or roof, as they would to the "addition". If unable to be attached to anything solid, of course it would have to be self-supporting. Without any dimensions or photos, or a full understanding of the current situation, I can't think of much more than that to offer at the moment. If you would like to provide some more details, I'd try my best to provide some better assistance. :)

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.