I have a deck which is need of repair. The planks run the full width of the porch and the outside deck. Only the outside part needs replacing. I need to cut the planks off at the wall of the porch but my saw leaves about 6 inches.  Do you know of a saw that will cut closer to the wall?  If I can get within an inch or so I can use a piece of molding to cover the gap where the new boards will butt up against the old ones.  Thanks for your help.

Hello Lillian,

I am assuming you are referring to the deck boards themselves. An average circular saw will run along a wall with the blade about 1 1/2" from a wall or obstruction. If you mean that you are cutting *perpendicular* to the wall, then you should be able to finish that last bit of the cut with either a jigsaw or a reciprocating saw (commonly referred to as a Sawzall, which is a brand name). I hope this helps, and best of luck! :)

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.