Hi Tony,

I have some stairs to construct: Total Run = 83" or 6'11"  Total Rise = 36.75"  I'm looking for stairs
with somewhere between 7" Rise and 11" Run.
1. Minimum Tread Run = 10"
2. Minimum Rise = 4'/Maximum Rise = 7.75"
3. What is the correct number and dimensions of Risers?
4. What is the correct number and dimensions of Treads?

Hi Angel,

If you use the entire run with the amount of rise indicated the steps will be unusually long (and odd looking).  Unless there is a compelling reason to use the entire run I would recommend shortening it somewhat.  I use this very excellent stringer calculator when I need to determine exact dimensions on stringers.  It has multiple fields to customize the exact stringer you need.  Scroll down the page to see the drawing it generates based on your input. The calculator will likely give you all the information you need but If I can be further assistance feel free to ask a followup question. Good luck with your project!

Best regards,
Tony Wood

Tony Wood

I can answer questions pertaining to deck design and construction and offer insight into the pros and cons of various designs and materials options.

I am a life time resident of North Carolina with over 30 years experience in multiple facets of the industrial, commercial and residential construction industry. For the past 23 years I have owned and operated Wood's Home Maintenance Service, providing services primarily in Johnston, Wake and Sampson Counties of North Carolina.

Several Home improvement articles published on Angie's List and other online forums.

High School graduate ~ proficient in CAD (computer aided design), Open Office program suite.