Decks/Wood posts

Question
I am having some posts replaced due to rot.  Could you tell me what type of post base to use for a 8 foot long wood balcony post?  On the Lowes website I saw some that were specked out as light duty, but can't find heavy duty ones.  Your recommendation?  Also there is just one bolt at the top of each post, is that sufficient?

Thanks so much for your help

T.

Answer
Hello Tom Unless it's not acceptable in your situation you can sit the post above ground on a concrete pier and you shouldn't have any issues with rot. Thus not using a post base. There are only a few to choose from that are for 4 x 4s, If the deck is higher than 7 ft. I would use a 6x6 as a support post. They have heavy duty bases for those and there is more room for additional bolts at the top. 1 bolt is probably good enough however as the posts dry they will twist and warp and no amount of bolts can stop that.If you use a 6x6 , notch it out so that it runs up inside the outer band and bolt it thru there. Hope this helped.

Decks

Eugene Clayton