Hi Michael. I buld a deck a few years ago out of treated lumber.  I  never coated it with a preservative. Is it to late to do so.  If yes what is a good product? Also is it worth to treat lumber that is not treated with a preservative? Thank you

Hello Jerome,

Well, I'm a carpenter, not really a painter, but I'll tell you what I can. I've heard and believe that a good quality outdoor stain is better than a water seal type of product....and the more solid the color in it, the more wear you'll hide. A step above that, for an even more weather damaged deck, would be one of the newer thicker "re-coating" type products. Always power wash the deck thoroughly a few dry days before applying whatever you decide, and make sure it doesn't get wet after for a few days either. Basically, follow whatever direction that the particular product advises.
Best of luck with it!  

Michael Romano

I can answer any questions relating to decks, porches, exterior stairs & railings, walkways, access ramps, pergolas, deck roofs, screen rooms, etc... These may include design ideas, footing to framing design & construction methods, various species of woods vs. composites & pvc/vinyl materials for decking, skirting, or railing applications. I also have expertise in various rain-free systems for under-deck storage & living spaces.

I have designed and built decks and many other types of outdoor structures for over 25 years for my own home improvement company. We also perform many other types of home improvements, including window & door installation, molding & trimwork, siding, basement finishing, siding, etc. Our main love however, is decks!

NADRA - The North American Deck and Railing Association. Several Small Business & Home Improvement Contractor Alliances & Associations.

I have written several articles over the years for,, and many other deck & construction related websites.

High School graduate. 2 years of Mechanical Drawing & Architecture classes. Vocational School graduate. 2 years of Construction Technology & Carpentry classes. Many years of reading, researching, and application in the real world.

I am certified by several decking manufacturers for expert application & installation of their products.

Mainly local residential clients, and occasional commercial clients, including restaurants, nightclubs, office buildings, etc.