Decks/Deck

Question
Hi Michael. I buld a deck a few years ago out of treated lumber.  I  never coated it with a preservative. Is it to late to do so.  If yes what is a good product? Also is it worth to treat lumber that is not treated with a preservative? Thank you
Jerome

Answer
Hello Jerome,

Well, I'm a carpenter, not really a painter, but I'll tell you what I can. I've heard and believe that a good quality outdoor stain is better than a water seal type of product....and the more solid the color in it, the more wear you'll hide. A step above that, for an even more weather damaged deck, would be one of the newer thicker "re-coating" type products. Always power wash the deck thoroughly a few dry days before applying whatever you decide, and make sure it doesn't get wet after for a few days either. Basically, follow whatever direction that the particular product advises.
Best of luck with it!  

Decks

Michael Romano