Decks/deck

Question
stone wall
stone wall  

stone wall 2
stone wall 2  
Hello, we are going to build a wood deck on top of a concrete porch.  The only part I don't understand is what to do where the deck meets the house, because the wall is stone.  The stones are uneven and vary by an ice or so in thickness.  Should I try to cut away at the stone to make it more even?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hey David,

Would it be possible for you to take either a circular saw or cut-off tool (like a 4"-6" or so grinder) with a masonry blade, and cut a horizontal slit into the stones and mortar? You could run the tool along a board (or even the ledger board of the new deck) to make a straight cut. If you cut it just as deep as the deepest part of the mortar, or slightly deeper, then you could slip a piece of flashing into it, and then caulk it into that groove. I would do this maybe a 1/4" or so higher than the ledger board, use a flashing that will angle slightly down over the top of the ledger board, then hide it with the decking.

Or, if you feel that you already have a sufficient waterproof joint where the stone already meets the concrete slab, then maybe just leave it, and cut some notches into the bottom of the ledger board to allow the water to run under it and away from the wall.

Maybe your concern is more aesthetics than rain... Then maybe cut an inch or more notch into that stone, and tuck the whole edge of that first deck board into it...

Let me know if any of this helps, or if you have further questions. :-)

Decks

Michael Romano