Decorating & Furniture/12' wall

We have just finished a big construction project and I am wondering how to paint the large room adjacent to my kitchen. It will be used as a casual dining and family area. The room is 18'(east to west) x 15'(north to south). The North wall is 12' high, the South wall is 9' and there is a very large picture window on the East wall.  The West wall has an archway into the kitchen. I want to paint the 12' wall red, and the 9' wall white.  I am wondering if I should paint the other two walls red or white?  The ceiling has two large sky lights and I plan to paint that white, and we will have hardwood floors.
Well, let me know what you think.  Thanks!

**Please go to this link to see images of your space.**

Dear Robyn,
   Congratulations on your construction project. Your space sounds like it has beautiful architecture. How nice to have such a large space. I think that it would look better if the space looked balanced when you walked in. So on this thought I would choose a reddish brown color picked up from the flooring for the tall wall. This amount of color would balance with a vibrant red on the shorter wall. I would choose white for the window and doorway wall. This will also make the space feel extended out toward the window wall. I hope I am making sense. I think the visuals can explain what I am saying. I hope this helps and if you have some differnet ideas and would like to see it before you paint please email me at with further information.

Good Luck,
Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book